The Seattle Jewish Seniors is open to all (you don't need to be a member of Temple Beth Am) and there are no dues!
Seattle Jewish Seniors (SJS) is an active and social group. It was formed over 20 years ago by a vibrant group of retirees who live in the greater Seattle area but come from different regions of the United States and have had different life experiences.
We operate informally: there are no dues, we are all volunteers, and we are all leaders. Committees are ad-hoc, staffed by member / volunteers, and facilitated by alternating members. TBA generously provides space and staff support, but membership in TBA is not required: everyone is welcome!
Regularly-scheduled activities include:
- Current Events with Jacob Bolotin, moderated discussions that take place generally on the last Friday of every month
- Birthday Bashes at area restaurants
- Schmoozes at the homes of members to welcome new arrivals to the Seattle area and enjoy good food
- Schmoovies, with a mix of good movies, good companionship, and potluck dinners
- Regular visits to local museums, parks, and theater, often followed by lunch
- Visits to area art museums are often arranged for the first Thursday of every month when admission is free for seniors
- Sponsorship of popular lectures at TBA, such as multi-media presentations by well-known musicologist Professor Theodore Deacon; and a popular series on American politics by David Comke, Chairman of the UW Communications Department
Open to all seniors to allow you to participate in evening programs at TBA, our Senior Rides Program is intended for people who have been unable to participate in evening activities at our synagogue because they do not have access to transportation or do not feel comfortable driving at night.
Seniors are eligible for one evening free taxi ride per person, each month, to attend an evening Shabbat service, holiday celebration, lecture, or committee meeting.
- The TBA Senior Rides Program budget allows for up to a maximum of $30 each way.
- Please make your own taxi reservation and keep your receipt for reimbursement.
- Send a copy of your receipt to: Alexis Kort / Senior Rides at Temple Beth Am / 2632 NE 80th Street, Seattle, WA 98115
- Reimbursements need to be submitted no later than 3 weeks after the ride.